M.L. (Mike) Faulkner
Project Management/Environmental Engineering/Regulatory Compliance
Extensive experience in the oil & gas, chemical/petro-chemical, energy and utility industries in environmental, health & safety (EH&S) compliance/auditing, engineering and consulting, including statutory and regulatory interpretation issues. Have extensive experience in onshore exploration and production (E&P) project management/development engineering, oil and natural gas production and transportation, environmental engineering with emphasis in air, water and solid/hazardous waste regulations. Possess ISO 9000 and 14000 experience and numerous certifications. Have demonstrated excellent organizational, interpersonal and problem solving skills which have contributed to significant bottom line results.
Independent Environmental, Health & Safety (EH&S) Consultant
Responsible for conducting assessments, making recommendations and implementing environmental management systems for the energy and petrochemical industry. Clients included: Asea Brown Boveri (ABB) Environmental Services, Dynegy Corporation; El Paso Energy Corporation; Mobil Oil Corporation, Enron Corporation, Albemarle Corporation, Delta Power Company, Williams Energy Services, Exxon/Mobil Pipeline Company, Chevron/Texaco Corporation and most recently Eagle Rock Energy and Ceritas Energy.
- Performs environmental air, water and hazardous waste permitting which included air quality modeling which ensured compliance for on shore and off shore operations.
- Performs multi media compliance audits which provided essential information for environmental, health & safety due diligence assessments for major mergers and acquisitions and ensured compliance with federal and state regulations for on shore and off shore operations
- Performs process optimization evaluations and implementation plans for the oil and gas, petrochemical and chemical industries which minimized air, water and solid waste streams, improved operational efficiency and reduced costs including ISO 9000 and ISO 14000 certification
- Develops and implements an automated regulatory corporate EH&S compliance system (patent pending).
Most Recent Specific Accomplishments:
- Maintaining a comprehensive compliance EH&S program for a mid-stream energy company which includes a grass roots natural gas processing plant in a Texas non-attainment area
- Completed all required EH&S permitting for a grass roots natural gas processing plant in a Texas non-attainment area
- Performed third party waste & compliance audits for oil & gas industry
- Completed third party federal & TCEQ air media audit for cogeneration power plant within 1 month
- Completed & submitted PBR & Standard Permit w/ air quality analysis for oil & gas operations / 1 month
- Completed Due Diligence Assessment for pipeline and gathering system in Louisiana within 2 weeks
- Completed third party multi-media federal & TCEQ environmental audit for power plant within 6 weeks
- Completed & submitted 2 TCEQ air permit applications that integrated over 60 chemical batch processes
- Completed 336 E&P environmental, health & safety audits as Lead Environmental Auditor which accounted for 84% of the group goal of 400. Completed audits within five months, one month ahead of schedule
ENRON CORPORATION (Enron Operations Corp.) – Houston, Texas 1993 – 1995
Manager, Legislative and Regulatory Affairs
Responsible for reviewing proposed and actual legislation and regulations that pertained to E&P oil and gas operations.
- Directed review, commentary and oral testimony of all federal and state environmental, health and safety legislative and regulatory matters which included twenty one States and resulted in an investment savings of $750,000 per year.
- Reviewed and commented on the Titles I, III & V Programs of the Clean Air Act Amendments of 1990 which resulted in budget modifications associated with compliance and proactive steps to mitigate the operational and financial effects of the legislation on all domestic operations.
DAMES & MOORE CONSULTANTS – Houston, Texas 1990 – 1993
Responsible for performing environmental engineering, including multi media environmental auditing, for hazardous and non hazardous activities in the Houston Regional Office. Clients included: Panhandle Eastern Pipeline, Mobil Oil Corporation, Enron Corporation and Tenneco Gas.
ARIZONA PUBLIC SERVICE COMPANY – Phoenix, Arizona 1987 – 1990
Team Leader; Air, Water and Solid Waste Programs
Responsible for developing, implementing and coordinating the environmental auditing programs for air, water, solid and hazardous waste, UST and asbestos compliance.
- Supervised and conducted audits for all environmental and health programs including water, solid and hazardous waste and UST compliance, asbestos, RCRA, OPA of 1990 and CERCLA on the local, state and federal levels which resulted in a $200,000 compliance savings.
- Led all state and federal regulatory and legislative review and comment for air, water, solid/hazardous waste and UST compliance which mitigated their impact on all present and future operations.
PHILLIPS PETROLEUM COMPANY – Bartlesville, Oklahoma/Odessa, Texas 1977 -1987
Associate Gas Development Engineer (1981 – 1987)
Responsible for serving as the local E&P environmental and safety contact for auditing, permitting and/or operational problems. Initiated, developed, evaluated, authorized, coordinated and expedited major natural gas projects ranging from $100,000 to $4.5 million in capital requirements.
Project Manager (1980 – 1981)
Assisted project manager in coordinating and operating all natural gas operations in the northern U.S. including the overall management of $150 million gas system and NGL plant.
Air Environmental Engineer (1977 – 1980)
Responsible for conducting all air permitting and air quality modeling for projects assigned including refineries; petrochemical and chemical plants; exploration and production of oil and natural gas; oil and natural gas gathering and oil and natural gas pipelines and compressor stations which resulted in a $2,000,000 savings.
- M.S., Environmental Science/Engineering, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, New Mexico
- Post Graduate Program, Engineering Science/Meteorology, University of Texas at Austin, Austin, Texas
- B.A., Biology and Chemistry, University of North Texas, Denton, Texas
- U.S. Patent Application for “Paperless Automated Statutory & Regulatory Compliance System” 1999
- The Academy of Board Certified Environmental Professionals (CEP) Certification No. 05040346, March 2005
- HAZWOPER Training for Hazardous Materials 1998 (8 Hours)
- Environmental Management Systems ISO 14001 Auditor Certification 1996
- Air Emissions Inventory Seminar by the Texas Natural Resource Conservation Commission 1996
- Clean Air Act Title III Air Toxics Seminar Update by the TNRCC 1996
- Clean Air Act Title III Air Toxics Seminar by the Air & Waste Management Association 1994
- Clean Air Act Title V Permitting Workshop by the Texas Natural Resources Conservation Commission 1993
- Health and Safety Training for Hazardous Material 1990 (40 Hours)
- NPDES Water Management Short Course sponsored by the Center for Energy and Environmental Management (CEEM) 1998
- Industrial Hygiene Short Course: University of Oklahoma 1980
- Air Pollution/Air Quality Modeling Course sponsored by American Institute of Chemical Engineers – 1978
- Health Physics Training: University of New Mexico 1976 – 1977
- The Academy of Board Certified Environmental Professionals (CEP) 2005 – Present
- Gulf Coast Environmental Affairs Group (1993 Present)
- Greater Houston Partnership (1990 Present)
- The Forum Club of Houston (1990 Present)
- Legislative and Regulatory Affairs Committee (LARAC) OF Gas Processors Association 1992 – 1995
- Water Quality Advisory Council/Arizona Department of Environmental Quality 1987 – 1990
- Hazardous Waste Society of Arizona 1989 – 1990
- Texas Hazardous Waste Association 1990 – Present
- Society of American Military Engineers 1989 – Present
- Air and Waste Management Association 1991 – Present
- “White Paper for Environmental Business Management for ABB Environmental Services,” March, 1997
- “Applicability of the Rulemaking Process to the Proposed Revision of Standard Exemption No.6 of the Texas Air Control Board Regulations”, Legal Brief Filing, November, 1982.
- “TCEQ Standard Permit for Oil & Gas Operations”, Anadarko Petroleum Corporation, Houston, TX, July, 2003.
- “TCEQ Permit by Rule (PBR)”, Anadarko Petroleum Corporation, Houston, TX, June, 2003.
- “TCEQ Permit by Rule (PBR)”, Williams Energy Services, Houston, TX, December, 2002.
- “TNRCC Voluntary Emissions Reduction Permit”, Albemarle Corporation, Pasadena, TX, July, 2001.
- “TNRCC Voluntary Emissions Reduction Permit”, Albemarle Corporation, Pasadena, TX, August, 2001.
- “TNRCC Air Permit Amendment”, Albemarle Corporation, Pasadena, Texas,” October, 2000.
- “TNRCC NPDES Permit Application for J.M. Huber Polymer Facility/Orange, Texas,” April, 1995
- “Region IX NPDES Permit Application of West Phoenix Steam Generating Station,” Arizona Public Service Company Document, November, 1990
- “EPA, Region VI, NPDES Permit Application of Four Corners Steam Power Generating Station,” Arizona Public Service Company Document, September, 1988
- “Prevention of Significant Deterioration (PSD) Permit Application for Williston NGL Facility for the North Dakota Department of Environmental Quality,” Phillips Petroleum Company Document, September, 1980
- “TACB Permit Application for Expansion of the Houston Petrochemical Complex, Phillips Petroleum Company Document, May, 1980
- “TACB Permit Application for Expansion of the Sweeny Refinery,” Phillips Petroleum Company Document, August, 1979
- “EPA, Region VI, PSD Permit Application for the Expansion for the Sweeny Refinery,” Phillips Petroleum Company Document, September, 1978