Regulatory and Legislative Applicability Analysis, Program Development/Management, Efficiency Improvements, Customer Needs Analysis, Environmental Compliance, EHS Auditing
Results-oriented, innovative Environmental Professional with experience in power generation, pipelines, refineries, and petrochemical plants. Leadership, project-management, communication and influencing skills. Principal strengths include statutory and regulatory analysis, interpretation and application, management system development, and problem solving by developing creative solutions. Belief that excellence in safety and environmental performance yields superior competitive business advantage and recognition, premium shareholder value, and sustainable business development and growth. A detail-oriented, self-motivated, reliable team player with strong technical skills
STRATEGIC ENVIRONMENTAL COMPLIANCE – The Woodlands, Texas (2007 – Present)
Responsible for conducting assessments, making recommendations and implementing environmental management systems for the energy, oil & gas and petrochemical industries in multiple facets of Health Safety and Environmental Management including:
- Develops, assesses, implements and manages the Environmental, Health, and Safety (EHS) Compliance Assurance programs and addresses environmental issues to improve and maintain the Company’s missions, goals, and policies.
- Performs environmental air, water and hazardous waste permitting which ensures compliance for on shore and off shore operations.
- Performs multi media compliance audits which provides essential information for environmental, health & safety due diligence assessments for major mergers and acquisitions and ensures compliance with federal and state regulations for on shore and off shore operations.
- Conceptualizes, creates and coordinates effective and simplified Safety and Environmental management systems, tailored to the Company’s needs, size and culture, that integrates ISO 9001, ISO 14001, and other industry standards.
- Performs legal analysis and recommendations for environmental compliance issues.
CHERYL L. WOLFORD, PLLC, Attorney at Law, Humble, Texas 2005 – 2007
General Civil Practice. Wide experience in corporate law.
- Draft, review, and negotiate contracts; monitor regulatory and program compliance; advise small businesses on various legal issues.
- Manage cases, draft legal documents, research legal questions and draft summary answers.
- Responsible for developing new business and marketing legal services to potential clients. Attend client meetings
Results: Problem situations resolved with minimal client costs.
DYNEGY GENERATION, Houston , Texas 2001 – 2005
Manager, Compliance Assurance
Developed, assessed, implemented and managed the Environmental, Health, and Safety (EHS) Compliance Assurance program and addressed environmental issues to improve and maintain the Company’s missions, goals, and policies.
- Monitored laws and regulations, advising management of impact on business and providing strategic direction. Created guidance to environmental and facility personnel to ensure compliance while meeting operational objectives.
- Developed, implemented and provided oversight of management systems to minimize risks, increase efficiency, and ensure continual compliance with EHS requirements.
- Established and streamlined company-wide environmental and operational metric data collection processes to document, analyze, and monitor performance with key company and industry measures.
- Managed Corporate-wide EHS auditing program to ensure consistency and provided results and recommendations for continuous EHS management system improvements to the Board of Directors.
- Analyzed business processes and environmental management software options, providing a business case for procurement and implementation of a software solution for environmental data and task management. The software solution included MAXIMO for operational compliance management and MAXIMO/opsEnvironmental integration for environmental data management and event-driven task triggers.
- Conceptualized, created and coordinated an effective and simplified Safety and Environmental management system, tailored to the Company’s needs, size and culture, that integrated and synthesized ISO 9001, ISO 14001, and other industry standards. Served as a resource to Dynegy operating divisions on environmental issues.
Proven track record:
- Directed policy, goals and objectives, and integrating innovative and strategic initiatives designed to drive shareholder value and profit improvement while ensuring optimal compliance with environmental requirements.
- Developed team approach and promoting staff. Leaded synergy and support of company culture, core values and beliefs, and initiatives at executive, professional, operational, and technical staff levels with a natural teaching, mentoring, communication, and “leading by example” style.
ARCO PIPE LINE COMPANY/TEPPCO, Houston , Texas 1992-2001
Sr. Environmental Advisor
Managed environmental issues to improve and maintain the Company’s mission, goals, and policies.
- Continually assessed applicability and impact of new and existing regulations on pipeline operations, and where appropriate, negotiated with state and federal agencies regarding industry modifications to proposed regulations resulting in changes in adopted regulations that minimized regulated activities.
- In conjunction with legal staff, drafted and reviewed environmental language for sale and purchase agreements, lease agreements and vendor contracts.
- Coordinated technical experts and explained technical data in support of settlement discussions regarding a Department of Justice lawsuit.
- Strategized and developed alternative language for settlements of environmental orders and Superfund sites.
- As External Affairs Manager, influenced changes to proposed legislation in Oklahoma and Texas to reduce redundancy of state and federal regulation of the industry in the final legislation.
- As Vice-Chair of Texas Oil and Gas Association Pipeline Committee, formulated and coordinated industry comments to proposed legislation and regulation.
- Conceived and developed company-wide EHS compliance tracking system encompassing eleven states and entered in to MAXIMO, a legacy maintenance management database, that incorporated compliance into everyday operational responsibilities, improved compliance, provided management with a more accurate understanding of compliance status, accountability for compliance, transferability of accountability due to personnel turnover, and less reliance on individual knowledge.
- Created systematic processes that provided more efficient and comprehensive compliance with environmental regulations and trained office and field personnel in these new environmental processes. Managed continual implementation and improvement of the processes.
- Originated waste minimization incentive program for the company that resulted in awareness and reduced hazardous waste generation by 96%.
- Provided competent and reliable guidance and support to engineering and operations office and field personnel that resulted in higher level of awareness of environmental compliance issues, willingness to address environmental requirements during planning, and interaction with environmental staff to ensure and support compliance activities.
ROY F. WESTON, INC., Houston , Texas 1991-1992
Performed RCRA permitting, NPDES permitting, overall regulatory compliance with emphasis on RCRA and CWA, facility audits, agency interaction, and preliminary remediation studies.
- As project leader had supervisory responsibility for professional staff.
NUS CORPORATION, Houston , Texas 1988-1991
- Provided chemical and process analysis of industrial facilities’ hazardous waste and wastewater generating processes to determine alternatives for waste minimization, treatment, storage, disposal and pretreatment requirements. Federal and state permitting for liquid, solid, and hazardous waste management facilities. Developed closure and post-closure plans for hazardous waste management facilities, and evaluated current and future environmental compliance with respect to RCRA, CWA, UST.
ALIEF INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DISTRICT , Houston , Texas 1987-1988
High School Classroom Teacher of Chemistry and Physical Science
Provided learning opportunities, instruction and guidance to an average of 30 students in each class.